By Panayotis Tetsis
Oil on canvas, 100Χ100 cm.
Inv. No.: P-103
Born at the
Island of Hydra,
Panayotis Tetsis had his first painting lessons from Klaus Friesländer. Later on he
studied at the School of Fine Arts, Athens, initially at its
(1943-1944) with Dimitris Biskinis and
Pavlos Mathiopoulos and then at the Painting Workshop (1944-1949) with
With a state scholarship he
continued his studies at the École des Beaux Arts in Paris
with Eduard Goerg
(1953-1956), while with another
one from the Italian government he studied at Ravenna the painting of
the Renaissance (1960).
He had his first one-man
show in Athens (1948). Other solo and group exhibitions
followed both in
Greece and abroad. At the same time he had
illustrated art publications and mural paintings in churches and public
places. In 1962 he
was awarded with the "Critics Award -
Keranis Prize". He was a member of the art group
"Armos'" [Joint] "A"
and "B'" (1949), as well as a
founding member and teacher of the
Open Study of Fine Arts (later the Vakalo School) 1958-1976. He was curator for free design at
school of the Polytechnic School of Athens (1951)
and has taught the
same at the Designers School of the Athens Technological Organization
Professor of painting at the School
of Fine Arts (1976-1991), he
was elected dean of that same
School in 1989. In 1993
he was elected member of the Academy of Athens. He was
the first to be bestowed with the "Yannis Moralis" Visual Arts State
Award, just a week before his passing.
Mainly expressionist in his style, he remained faithful to the
principles of traditional painting. Panayotis
Tetsis passed away in Athens (2016).
Reflections upon Greek Contemporary Painting, The Cangelaris