THE CANGELARIS COLLECTION
Born in Athens, Nicolaos
Hadjikyriakos-Ghika worked already since his school boyhood at the
workshop of Costas Parthenis (1919-1920) and continued his studies in
Paris, at the Janson de Sailly Lyceum (1921-1922).In
1922 he followed lessons on Greek and French
literature at the Sorbonne while at the same time he was working at the
Ranson Academy in the class of painting with Roger Bissière and etching
with Dimitris Galanis.Since
then and until 1934 he
lived in Paris realizing regular visits
to Greece.He had his first
one-man exhibition in Paris (1927),
although since 1923, at the
age of 17, had already participated to group shows to be
by other solo and group exhibitions in Greece and abroad.
He has designed the stage scenery and costumes for many theater
performances in Athens, Paris and London and has illustrated a number
of books. He has
also written many articles on art and has
given a series of lectures on the subject.He has been, as well, the co-publisher of
art magazine "To 3o
Mati" [The 3rd Eye"] (1935)
and the founder of the art group
"Armos" [The Joint] (1949).In 1941 he was
elected professor at the Architectural School of the Polytechnic School
of Athens, where he taught design and composition until 1958. In 1970
he was awarded the Fine Arts Merit
Prize of the Academy of Athens and in 1973 he was unanimously elected
one of its regular members. In 1985 he was elected honorary
member of the Royal Academy of Arts (London) as well. In 1991
created his namesake Gallery at his apartment in down town Athens,
which he donated to the Benaki Museum. He was one of the
modernizers of the contemporary Greek art. Late cubist
and a distinct personal style characterize his work. Nicolaos
Hadjikyriakos-Ghika passed away in Athens (1994).
information found here for your personal use only.
may republish text or images provided attribution and link to the
source are included.
may not duplicate, distribute or sell said information, without prior
permission of the author.